Thursday 26 April 2007

Bits of Life in April

Random things from life:
  • Recent Movie: Ten Canoes. Unlike anything I've seen before. Worth watching once.
  • Recent Foodie's Discovery: There is a massive difference between the Bagel-House bagels you buy at the supermarket and Bagel-House bagels you buy at a bakery. The former taste like bubblegum, the latter are fantastic
  • Recent Foodie's Discovery #2: Bagels from a Jewish bakery, such as Glick's in Bondi Junction, are different again!
  • Recent piece of Advice: "Learn to be a good re-reader rather than try to read absolutely everything. Who cares if you can read 1000s of mediocre books and articles? Find the best. Read them carefully." from Michael Jensen. It was advice to doctoral students. I recently read Spurgeon say a similar thing.
  • Recent Software: ProVoc. If you're learning vocab for a language. Get ProVoc. It's free and brilliant.
  • Recent Essay Submission: On the secrecy surrounding Jesus being the King in Mark's Gospel (The "Messianic Secret'). Addresses stuff like why Jesus told his disciples not to tell people that he's the Christ.

Ahhh... bananas.

4 comments:

The Librarian said...

"#2: Bagels from a Jewish bakery, such as Glick's in Bondi Junction, are different again!"

There is a glicks bakery near my house in Melbourne too, they are GOOD! I love watchign the little boys in their Yammakis ( spelling)over a blueberry or choc chip bagel.... hmmm

Like the topic of your last essay too - very worth exploring...

michael jensen said...

Spurgeon got it off me.

Bernard said...

lol! That's classic - I'm glad you gave him that little gem ;)

Sherrin said...

Hi Canes,

Since Katie dropped by my blog recently, I thought I'd drop by yours and say "Hi!". I think it is time for Katie to post again, especially since her last post indicated she has inside knowledge about cloth nappies :)! It seems such knowledge is dying away, in the age of disposables . . .

Anyway, it was fun to see Katie and Noah down in Hobart, and I hope you are all having fun!