Sunday 15 April 2007

'The wife'

Disclaimer: this is the first time I have written a blog entry (which is quite an achievement as I have struggled with the communication style of the Blogger's world for some time) and have absolutely no gifts in the creative writing area. Please excuse the dullness which may be found in any entry of mine!

Bernard and I have been married for 5 years now, and I have never been so conscious that I am a wife. The usual first question when meeting someone new at college is 'are you studying, or are you a wife?' - to which I reply 'a wife'. This question is valid and I'm happy to be a wife, but it's weird having that title be my main identity. I'm not a student, I'm not an employee, I'm not a women's leader, I'm not a bible-study leader, I'm not really a 'useful' member of a church, and I'm hardly anyone's friend up here! I'm not part of anything that gives me an identity outside of being a 'college wife', and that is a strange feeling. I'm so thankful that God has made me one of his - I belong to something far greater than what the world considers important. I think these years will be humbling for me, as outside of being a mum and a wife I won't have anything to boast in nor rely on to make me 'who I am'. I'm really hoping that God will use this jar of clay for his own power-displaying purposes, and that I will be a worthy 'college wife'.

If your dying to hear more of the adventures in my Sydney life, stay tuned for exciting posts on 'washing cloth nappies; does napisan really work?', and 'The best foods for pureeing; will corn make the list?' ; )

9 comments:

Bron said...

Hey guys, just stumbled across your blog today.

Katie, it's awesome to hear from 'the wife' I certainly hope we hear more from you! And of course, see more of you in real life than we do in the blogosphere.

Being a college wife this year, you're breaking all the new ground you'll see me going through next year. From my point of view you'll be a pioneer, and I hope you can pass on your wisdom to help me struggle through :)

Ami said...

Hi Katie,

I am very excited about your blog post - I hope to read many more in the future!!!

I have a huge admiration for women who are content with life as a wife and mother, and you in particular have been an inspiration to me in this area. When I think about my future as a mothe I think that it is so important and that I would have no "identity" issues at all. However, I am sure that I am being very much over-confident in this regard, and will struggle with working out what defines me as a useful human being.

Love you heaps, and can't wait to see you when you visit Tassie!!!

Katie said...

Thanks Bron and Amy for your encouragement.

Bron - Hope to see you more than hear from you too!
Praying that I'll gain heaps of wisdom this year - I have so much to learn. Looking forward to your becoming a 'college wife' (for selfish reason, mainly), but I hope this year of study is a massive blessing to you.

Amy- Yeah, it's strange that I'm having 'identity issues' when I know my roles are important. I guess who I am has been boiled down to a minimum now (my other roles being taken away), and so I feel really different or something.
We can talk more in about 10 days - yay!

mike said...

Be brave Katie. What you write is good stuff :)

Mikey Lynch said...

for a first-time blogger, you're a natural... are you sure you didn't get coaching from someone.

so you're not only a wife and a Christian... you're also a BLOGGER!!!!

thanks heaps Katie. I've been waiting for a new post on this blog for some time. What a pleasant, encouraging, touching surprise this post was. really nice way to convey something of how you guys are going.

Katie said...

Thanks to my two favourite Mikes for the comments! I may even write another entry one day after such nice words - maybe you regret commenting now, eh?

Mikey - I never thought I'd become a blogger; this living in Sydney has driven me insane! But, as you pointed out, I am now a more complex person - I guess for the better... blogging seems a good way to keep in touch with my loved ones!

Benny said...

I found it interesting Katie, thank you fo writing it.

The Librarian said...

Behind every great man, Katie...

Think how much you are growing in endurance, contentment, humility... I admire so much the women I know who stay at home, hold the babies, keep everything running, provide the emotional support. It is an invisible role, in some ways, but Christ has told us about how precious and vital some invisible things are.

Not being a mum yet, I enjoy being Luke's wife, although I am also and worker still... But as Luke is the intern at the church we go to, I am usually known as his wife... To be honest, I'm enjoying being behind the scenes..

I'm sure you are quite a formidable wife, as you have been dynamic in all your other roles!!

The Librarian said...

BTW This is Amy Isham in melbourne...