Wednesday 11 February 2009

It Takes a City...

Dan put me onto a sermon by Tim Keller (from Manhattan) with the provocative title, It Takes a City to Raise a Child. I won't try to summarise it, but let me put it this way: We all have a pretty clear idea of what's meant by the tag, "a great place to raise kids", and it doesn't involve inner-city living. Well, Keller applies the blow-torch.

You can stream the sermon from the Redeemer website for free.

In other news...

Last week we ducked away to a friend's apartment in Mona Vale (Northern Beaches) for a few nights. It was fantastic. Within walking distance of the beach we just spent a whole bunch of time relaxing, paddling, swimming, re-applying sunscreen, reading, looking for crabs. Delightful.



Tuesday was my first day of College for the year - my final year! It was a one-day intensive on Textual Criticism. (i.e. How we figure out what the original text of the Bible was; what errors have crept in over time; how can we peel them away, etc., etc.)

My summary: you really can trust your English bibles, people.

Ahead of starting college I finished all of my (college) Summer Assignments. This was a big one:


If I had to single-out the doctrinal heart of Moore's degree courses, I'd say it's Calvin's Institutes (we read the whole thing over the course of the degree). The highlight of this Summer's reading was his stuff on prayer.

Speaking of which, please thank God for our great summer break. Please pray that we don't get impatient with our last year up here, but rather throw ourselves into these last months in Sydney with a real spirit of generosity and eagerness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ber, 'etc., etc.' doesn't make sense. 'Et' means 'and' and 'cetera' means 'the rest'. Therefore you said "and the rest, and the rest." which doesn't make sense. Blame Dad for me knowing that. Lol.
Fi xox